Tuesday, September 23, 2008

podcasts galore

As a stay-at-home dad, I cook, clean, mow the lawn, chauffeur, etc. There's a lot of mindless drudgery. To keep my sanity and partially satisfy my wow cravings, I often listen to podcasts. If you don't, but would like to, here're some you should check out:

WC Radio -- this is the motherlode. they have live shows with irc chat support. when they're not running live shows, they stream archives 24/7. They have a variety of shows:

  • the wow insider show -- wow insider has many great bloggers and multiple posts per day. the podcast recaps the week on wow insider. the hosts have a very good rapport.
  • casually hardcore -- the casual perspective on wow. these folks may not be your cup of tea, but for me, it's like old home week. They're smart and geeky, happy grown-ups with a rambunctious kid in the background.
  • blue plz! -- it's a cranky british guy named 'total biscuit' ranting about various things. He's the station owner of wow radio. If you like one of his shows, you'll probably like them all -- he's very consistent.
  • world of theorycraft -- they haven't published much lately, but I have hopes that they'll ramp up soon. In the past, they've been very helpful in getting the most out of your character.
  • wow things considered -- a couple of guys talking about wow and other stuff. They're generally pleasant. I subscribe.
There are some other shows on wc radio, but those are the ones I listen to. Here are some non-wc radio podcasts, in no particular order:
  • The Instance -- these guys have great production values, pleasant radio voices, interesting guests (e.g. Curt Schilling).
  • Big Red Kitty -- this curmudgeonly hunter does an awesome one-man show. We all know hunters are great at soloing...I just hope he doesn't run out of ammo.
  • Legendary Thread -- it's a thrill when I see this one downloading. The hosts are game journalists and are wickedly funny.
  • How I Wow -- Patrick the Frenchman and Sean the Basic interview interesting people about how they got into wow, how they play, etc. Thoughtful and intelligent, pleasant hosts.
  • Epic Dolls -- two women, a variety of standard segments, not always well-researched, but generally worth listening to.
  • Elune's Grace -- folksy, pleasant. I like listening to them. They're not afraid to talk about in-game goofs. I can identify because I've made the same mistakes.
  • Outlandish -- funny Southerners. They do awesome commercials for add-ons. Consistently good, but you probably don't want to play this where your kids can hear it.
  • Twisted Nether -- Two great hosts with pleasant voices and very good rapport talk about what people have been blogging this week and interview a blogger. They are intelligent and funny.
  • World of Warcast -- Starman and Renata work well together. Starman's tales of his mage experience helped me figure out what to do with my own gear. I'll keep listening if they'll keep putting them out.
Ok, the baby's waking up. I'd better get going. Happy listening!

No comments: